Autistic Flappy Hour’s fifth episode is all about autistic identity. We recorded it at Autscape in August 2016, so it’s a very long time coming indeed, but, well, life happened a lot. Our guest hosts were Megan and John-James for this episode, which also features Laurine and Nat.
Behind the scenes, Fergus worked extremely hard to edit and transcribe the episode, and Maxens helped with the transcription as well.
- Download the episode
- Read a transcript of the episode
- Podcast RSS feed to subscribe with your favourite podcatcher
John-James was simply flappy to be at Autscape for the first time. Laurine was flappy about cross-stitching the letter B from Par-la-fenetre’s ABC of Stimming. Megan was excited about her trip to Disneyland Paris and how good disabled access was. As for Nat, they were happy about their recent travels to Nine Worlds.
- Autscape 2016
- Par la fenêtre – autism webcomics
- The ABC of Stimming PDF download by Par la fenêtre
- Laurine’s cross-stitch of B is for Blinking
- Disneyland’s services for disabled visitors
- Nine Worlds Geekfest
Discussion – Autistic Identity
Our main discussion was about autistic identity.
We discuss our guest hosts’ autistm backstory, before delving into how we feel autism plays with other aspects of our identity. We then talk about how important our autistic identity is to us. Finally, we mention specific aspects of Autscape which made us think about our identity.
- Temple Grandin’s NPR interview
- Assert charity (Brighton and Hove)
- An introduction to Deaf Gain
- Deaf Gain – the book
- Canine Perspective CIC – a social enterprise inspiring positive change using the power of the human-canine bond
- All Cats have Asperger’s Syndrome – a book by Kathy Hoopmann
- All Dogs have ADHD – a book by Kathy Hoopmann
- Facebook group around the Neurodiversity Manifesto
- Autistic identity and the limits of inclusion – presentation slides by Martijn
- The stranglehold of self-fulfilling autism stereotypes – post by Mel Baggs
- Follow up 1 to Mel Baggs’s post
- Follow up 2 to Mel Baggs’s post
Get in touch
Please rate or review us on iTunes or get in touch by leaving a comment on this post, emailing us at flappyhourcast at gmail dot com or sending a message on one of our social media accounts listed below.